Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My "Christian" Peers

Something really bothered me today. Rather, it disturbed me. It came up during Sociology class this afternoon. Actually, a lot of things that grieve me have come up in class discussions lately. Anyway, today the topic was religion. The conversation had turned to churches, their styles, denominations, and beliefs. That is when I learned something that to me was absolutely shocking.

Many of the young men my age who I have been listening to (or rather trying not to listen to) for weeks now whose talk is filthy, crude, and disgusting, who openly and loudly disrespect the teacher (One went so far as to wish she would kill herself and not show up to class. As he was making the comment, she walked in behind him.), and skip out on class halfway through to go and get a drink (not soda...), claim to be born again Believers!!

They know Bible theology and stories probably better than I do, they proved this in the discussion today. All of them have grown up in churches and had Christian upbringing. I just can not believe it. I would have NEVER guessed these guys would claim to be Christians. Their actions, attitudes, and words don't back it up. It just goes to show that the label "Christian" doesn't mean very much nowadays. Sadly, they aren't the first ones like this I've met at school. It is very disturbing to think this is the majority of our Christian witnesses on the college campus today (Please don't take me wrong, I know that there are a lot of great, wonderful, strong Christians out there as well).

It makes me very upset. When there are those going around giving Christians a bad name, it makes the witness of true, God-honoring Believers much more difficult. I'm sure it shows those who are watching that Christians aren't any different from the rest of the world. It should never be so.

I wonder, where we are headed if this is the next "Christian" generation? How long will the Lord allow people to take His name in vain without severe consequences? The thought, quite frankly, scares me.

No comments: