Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Should Women Go To College?

Well, my conviction even before reading this was no, but after reading C.S. Hayden's blog on the subject, I'm convinced. I should not be spending my time now pursuing a degree in college. I will not say I'll NEVER go back, because I have no idea what the Lord may lay on my heart in the future, and it may be something I can only accomplish through obtaining a degree. However, at this point in my life, I have much better things to reach for and pour my energy into.

As some of you may know, I have decided not to go to college after over 1 year in the college system. I went to Ga. Perimeter (a junior college) last year and then attended Chattahoochee Tech. for a culinary arts program this past quarter. I've been miserable ever since I started. I never wanted to go at all. I had never pictured college in my life. While in middle and high school grades, I always had the mindset of finishing high school and afterwards preparing for life as a wife and mother. Unfortunately, I gave in to pressure from many people and enrolled in college. I've never in my life been so unhappy, unsettled, and restless.

God convicted me over the summer during a time of much prayer and Scripture reading. The message I heard over and over was the call to be a wife and mother. I mean, to think, here I was in another country, serving the Lord, impacting so many for Him, having this wonderful, life-changing experience...and He was telling me one thing. "Sallie, My call for you to be a wife and mother is just as important as any work you will do in foreign missions." I see it now and my mindset has been so skewed. Someone has to train up the next generation in the Lord. Being a supportive wife and caring mother who invests in her family is a VERY important role. I'm not cut out to lead, I know that. Now I see so much more clearly that the position He has called me to is a perfect fit. I don't have to keep trying to fit into other people's expectations of me.

At this moment, I still question my decision to drop college, but it's not because I think I will want or even need a degree one day. It's because I just want the pressure from others to ease up. (Especially, since I'm not even married yet!) That's not the Christian's call though. I'm not called to conform. I'm called to stand up for my convictions and beliefs, go against the flow of society if necessary, and follow the Lord in all to fulfill His greater plan. That's my goal because I only answer to one person, the God of the universe.

No comments: