Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"I Can't Do This Anymore!"

"I can't do this anymore!"

That statement has been my most often quoted-to-self statement. And, it's quite true. Without Christ, I cannot do this, much less do this anymore. 

I have had quite a summer. I had looked forward to a "break", whatever that means for me, but between work and still-unresolved health issues, it has been anything but a break. By the end of the school year, I was physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally drained and ready to spend my summer in bed. However, that idea was not based upon reality. So, I went on the job hunt, and God faithfully provided jobs for me (one as a nanny, and one in a daycare with infants).

I knew it was going to be hard to take on two jobs, but I didn't remember just how hard it would be. Working with kids can be very rewarding, but when you don't have much energy output to begin with, it can be quite challenging. I have almost made it to the end though. I have about 3 more weeks of work before school will start back up.

This entire summer, I have been telling myself over and over again of my inability to continue on. I think this self talk has occurred daily. Even so, whenever I have made that statement, "I can't do this anymore!" I hear that still, small voice say, "Exactly!" and I am reminded that I am not going to be able to do this on my own strength. It is essential that I abide constantly in Him. I am not in this alone, and I most certainly cannot do this alone. I guess that is the point He has been making ALL summer and it has taken me this long to get it.   
'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
~2 Corinthians 12:9~

I am going to be replacing my negative self-talk with this verse. I know it is something that is going to continue to be necessary not only through this summer, but also throughout the school year and after that...every day of my life. I'm so thankful that my loving Father has not left me to do this by myself. Life is most certainly not always easy, but living life with Him by my side gives me the power to make it through every trial and weakness.

No comments: