Saturday, November 10, 2007

Time Flies

Disclaimer: I really wanted to get something posted today, so I decided to go ahead with this. However, I must warn you, this post has not gone through extensive editing. I just got home from a busy day of babysitting and I do not possess my full brain power at this point in the day. I hope you can follow me through this one!

Is it just me or does time go by too fast? I cannot believe that it is already well into November. Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away! I wish I could get some of this precious time back, but yet, I know that wishing will never bring it back. It makes me think though...What am I doing with each day? Am I using every minute as God would have me? Am I taking a few moments each day to enjoy some little thing in His great creation? Do I slow down often enough to savor a few moments enjoying Him? Do I stop to smile at a child's innocence? Do I pause long enough to talk to a stranger at the cash register or a fellow student at school?

I don't like to think of my answers to these questions. It is painfully revealing. Each day is filled with so many opportunties and I consistently fail to take advantage of them.

We all need to slow down. We need to simplify. We need to realize that we only have one life, one chance to be here on this earth. One of Satan's strongest weapons against us as Believers is busyness. It encourages us to brush aside relationships, God, and pleasure in His creation. We might come to the end of a week and be able to list all of the things we did, but what things is God going to ask us about when we reach the other side? What will we regret at the end of our life? Will we wish we obtained another degree? Maybe worked harder to get that coveted luxury vehicle? Will we wish we had made it to the top of the career ladder? Will we wish we had a more comfortable lifestyle?

I challenge you (and myself), let's make this life count for more than our own self-centered (and yes, I believe most of our ambitions have nothing to do with God or fellow man) accomplishments. Let's stop doing things and start being the kind of person that can always make time to talk to the cashier, set aside the laundry to play a game with the kids, turn off the TV to listen to the family, or make the commitment to never let school, career, or even ministry overtake the needs that those close to us have... love, time, support, encouragement, understanding, and a listening ear.

No comments: